Monday, March 10, 2008

You gotta keep the devil way down in the hole.

And just like that, it's over. The Wire is gone for good. David Simon wanted five seasons to tell his story and after five, it is no more. I'm having some difficulty with it.

The Wire wasn't just a show. It was too big to ever think of it as merely a show. It was powerful and riveting. It was a force of nature. It came down like the hand of God and said, "Here. Look at this. This is the world and this is how it really works. No bullshit."

From the lowest of the low to the highest halls of power you saw everything and everything you saw was truth. An entire city was deconstructed from the sewers up and you were shown how it all fit together from the hard light of day on the streets to the man behind the curtain during the darkest time of night. No one was safe and the only thing held sacred was the truth.

This wasn't some same old same old cop show that was mostly about great cops, with maybe one sort of flawed guy in there for flavor, that always got their man and taught you a valuable lesson and everything was tidy before the credits rolled. Not all the cops were that great and most of them were deeply flawed. The criminals got equal time and equal development and some of them actually made you give a damn about them. Then there were the lawyers, judges, teachers, school kids, union workers both dirty and clean, wise guys, reporters and politicians of all makes and models. You've never seen so many characters in one show and they were ALL great.

I was drawn to it because I recognized the streets where they filmed. That was my city they were showing and they better not fuck it up. I stayed because having seen it I couldn't look away. This was, without exception, the best series to ever air on TV. Ever.

So to the entire cast and crew and to Mr. Simon I say thank you. It was my honor to have experienced this wonderful and amazing thing that you created.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, here! Season 1 came out on DVD here in '06 and Season 2 followed in '07, but since then I've just been waiting for them to release the rest. Thank fuck for the Internets, BitTorrent in particular... same thing happened with 3rd Rock From The Sun, but now I have the complete series of that on my shelf. Here's hoping I can replace my DIVX files of The Wire with some legit DVDs soon, so I can start wearing them out.

Tim said...

I have to say, things ended much better for McNulty than I thought they would.

Things I liked:
1. Bubbles's ending.
2. Carver going from someone i couldn't stand in season one, to one of the characters i really liked.
3. The brief cameo by Pres.
4. Micheal becoming a stick up man, with slight nods to Omar.
5. Cheese getting shot. Prop Joe may have been a shifty fucker, but I liked him.
6. Marlo trying to to legit, but winding up back on a corner.

I'm sad there isn't going to be any more seasons, but it was a hell of a good ending to a hell of a good show.

Anonymous said...

So now that one famous person commented on your blog we're gonna have to sit around and wait while you lick the assholes of everybody famous that you like hoping another one will show?

;)

Just kidding buddy. I'm just jealous and bustin' your balls. Post more things for me to read while I am at work! (Not things that call me a dirty bitch!)

(Okay you're right I do like being publicly called a dirty bitch but... Nope, that's it.)