Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I have one too and it's not all that special

I'd like to share a conversation I was involved in with you, mostly so I can share my pain. Please read to the end as it doesn't go where you think it's going to go.

Me (Seeing something about Sarah Palin): God, I can't stand her. I'm so glad they didn't get elected I can't even tell you.

Woman (who is overly religious): Me too. She shouldn't be anywhere near the White House.

Me: I know! She's such an imbecile! She comes off like a total airhead and that "I'm just a regular soccer mom" schtick is such an obvious put on it makes me physically ill.

Woman: Plus she's a woman.

Me: ...what?

Woman: Women shouldn't hold public office especially vice president or president. She should be home taking care of her family.

Me: What!? (Followed by an angry tirade against this completely ignorant and utterly offensive line of thinking.)

Here I have someone, a woman no less, telling me that no woman should be an elected official because she has no right to not be at home being a servant to her family. Actually no, servants get paid. It was her religion telling her this. Her stupid fucking religion. She's married to a worthless piece of shit by the way who she thinks is better than her based solely on the fact that he has, allegedly, a dick.

The pure ignorance of this line of thinking makes my head hurt. It robs me of coherent argument and leaves me red faced and shouting. Of course I already knew that religion poisons minds but when it leaps out at you when you aren't expecting it in ways that raise the bar for offensive stupidity it's like discovering it for the first time all over again.

I don't give a fuck what your magic book says, it's wrong. Not wrong like you like a band I don't and I call you wrong. Wrong like you saying the sky is brown or water is dry or Pi is 7.1972645. Wrong. Not opinion. Fact. You are wrong. For the love of all things how can people still think this way in the 21st century?

Eventually I remembered my rule and ended the back and forth. It's a good rule so I'll share it with you again. Arguing with religious people is like taking a head first run at a brick wall. When it's over your head will hurt and the wall won't have noticed you were even there.

Thank you, religion, for fucking up yet another otherwise intelligent person with your poisonous ignorance.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of when I worked at a health food store in Oklahoma and a woman quoted scripture to me to "prove" that women should not be president, like Vigdis Finnbogadottir. It made me skin feel all burny!

suyapi said...

But...but my priest/preacher told me, and, well, he's touched by god, or something, right? Right?

*strangles himself*

I actually had a coworker many years ago that said that the bible could be changed by priests and monks and whoever to suit whatever because they were touched by god, because they said so.

For some reason, she wouldn't believe me when I said I was touched by god and would change the bible to just say "you're all stupid."

Anonymous said...

You know I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not very patient and people annoy me in very slight, probably inconsequential ways. I know that every day I find new things to get annoyed about but maaan how the fuck do you get such shitty luck in the people that you meet??

Unknown said...

I'm like a magnet, y'see. I am the positive. Smart, good looking, funny, good looking, charming, good looking, really smart, good looking, well read, good looking, I used logic and reason to form the opinions that I have, I'm good looking and to top it all off, I'm really humble about it all. That being the case my positive attracts the negative. It's a curse I guess I have to live with.