Tuesday, May 25, 2010

See ya in another life, brotha.

After 6 seasons Lost has gone off the air for good (there are no spoilers here. I hate them). Lost hooked me right from the start and quickly became one of my all time favorites. While The Wire is still the best show ever (it's not open for debate) and Breaking Bad has arguably more compelling characters and Deadwood has dialogue like no other show, Lost is the show that I craved most week to week. The show that made me need the next episode like no other show could. It had a mythology so dense it could sometimes make The X-Files look like a sitcom. I mean that in the best possible way. No other show had so many eye widening, jaw dropping, what the fuck moments and not just in season finales, though Lost's season finales were the best, bar none. Every single episode had the potential to bring new and holy shit reveals, and they often did.

It's the only show I know of that the creators negotiated with the network to let them end it sooner rather than later. They wanted to tell their story and then end it instead of dragging on until it turned into a parody of itself or just became bad like most popular shows do.

Even at two and a half hours the finale didn't answer every question and y'know, I'm happy about that. Remember when X-Files tried to tie up every loose end in the final 2 seasons? Yeah, could have done without that. Anyway by the end of it all the questions and answers weren't even that important anymore. In the end it was all about the flawed and tormented characters seeking peace in themselves. They weren't just lost physically, they were all lost in every possible way and the island was the place that gave them the opportunity to find themselves and each other.

I could go on and on (and on and on...) but instead I'll simply say to everyone involved in making Lost from highest to lowest, thank you. There will never and can never be another show like it and I could not appreciate all of your efforts more if I tried.

5 comments:

The Taco Prophet said...

I really need to start watching this show. So many people whose opinions I respect adore it.

Unknown said...

This show more than any other I'd love to be able to watch for the first time again. Maybe I can hit myself in the head with a rock...

The Taco Prophet said...

I have some... things... I could put in your ear. If it would help. For science. Science!

Anonymous said...

Well said, brother. It only dawned on me the other week that while I can't settle on a definitive second favourite show (agreed on The Wire at #1) the rest of the competition is all HBO and AMC.

The fact that Lost played out on network TV makes it all the more impressive to me, especially when there are shows like FlashForward highlighting just how hard it is to create something with such scope let alone survive in that sort of climate.

I'm sad it's over (not counting news of 20+ mins of island history that's supposed to be on the Season 6 DVD and BluRay) but it will live on in the lively discussions I have with current fans, the weekends I'll inevitably fill with repeat screenings and the new fans that I'm constantly telling to watch until "Walkabout" before they decide it's not for them.

Also, you should check out nedroid's twitpic archive if you haven't already: http://twitpic.com/1rdvxv

Unknown said...

Walkabout is a great ep, isn't it? That comic is awesome. "Do you want to throw hot pockets at me? Like in the old days?" Gold.