Monday, June 11, 2007

Excuse me while I engage in a small bit of idol worship

Normally I don't bother to mention much day to day stuff unless it's funny or I need to rant and normally I wouldn't make a post for a concert because they're just, y'know, things that people do, but this is a special occasion. For me anyway.

Tool played my city last Friday and holy shit were they amazing.

Again, under normal circumstances I wouldn't mention it but for my money Tool is the best band going now. Not the best ever of course but they are my favorite band that is still making new music. I think every member is gifted and most of them are far beyond anything else going today. If they played here every week then every week I'd make one of these gushing like a fanboy. I just can't help it and I don't really want to.

Anyway, some band from Tokyo called Melt Banana opened the show and they were loud and they were fast. I don't know if I'll be buying anything of theirs but I enjoyed their set.

Tool came on and melted my face and I love it and begged for more more MORE. The set list was:

Jambi
Stinkfist
Forty Six & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Wings for Marie Pt. 1
10000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)
Lateralus
Vicarious

How many bands can get away with playing only ten songs at a concert and still leave the crowd satisfied? And believe me I was satisfied. Half the set is new stuff but I love the new album so I was well pleased. The only times that the crowd was spoken to was to give us a Hello Baltimore right after the first song and then we were asked to give a moment of silence and when we got really quiet he said "For Paris Hilton. This next song is for her." at which point Stinkfist started and then right before Vicarious we were thanked very profusely for not using flash photography and screwing up their concentration. Anything for you guys. Seriously, anything. You want my pants? I'll give them to you. I mean it.

After Flood a whole kind of ambient noise thing started and the band was on and off the stage sitting on the riser that Danny Carey's drums and Maynard's mic were on and so forth. The roadies brought the opening band's drum kit back out and after about ten minutes of the weird (but pleasant) noise thing Danny got back into his kit and the opening band's drummer came out to his kit and they tore into a two drum kit solo that was AWESOME. Very dueling drums kind of thing going back and forth getting more and more complicated and faster until the end where they were playing together (but not the same) and ended with a crash like Zeus throwing thunderbolts into your brain. Absolutely stunning.

I'm almost finished gushing, I swear.

You may not know but the 2 Wings songs are about Maynard's mother and her death. I don't know how he gets through them without weeping. I can't imagine what it's like to hear the crowd singing along with you during songs this personal and all but screaming her name where he drops it in the lyrics. I'd probably have a nervous breakdown before the tour was over.

I know it was a great show because people kept asking me why I was smiling and mentioning how weird it was to see me doing it so much for no apparent reason. Here's hoping they don't wait another 5 years to release a new disc and go back on tour.

OK, I'm finished with my Tool worship and we return you to our regularly scheduled programming now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, you smiled? It must have been the shit!

Speaking of sextacular music, have you heard the new White Stripes yet? It leaked in the last couple of days, much to Jack White's dismay as it was initially a really low quality feed from some Chicago radio station... since then high quality copies have turned up on the net, there's supposed to be an official feed of the album in full on MTV's website (ugh) but the link wasn't working.

I'll track something down for you to check it out, they are still solid gold awesome, album of the year so far in my mind.

JMac said...

I completely understand your need to gush over them. I am not as die hard a fan of Tool, not even close, but I feel the same way (almost) about Nine Inch Nails. I'm not as impressed with their most recent stuff as I am with their old work, but most of the time whatever I hear from them gives me goosebumps. And if Trent Reznor wanted my pants, I'd have them off so fast I would probably hurt myself trying to get them off both legs at once. It really overjoys me to see people still worshipping quality music. With all the pop and rap shit out there... I'm beginning to get depressed over what impresses people.

Anonymous said...

The stream is supposed to be available through "The Leak" on MTV's website from June 12th to June 19th:

http://www.mtv.com/music/the_leak/the_white_stripes/icky_thump/

Get it in ya!

Anonymous said...

Fuck you, bitch, Reznor is MINE!

Wasn't a huge fan of With Teeth, but Year Zero is one of my other favourites for this year.

There is a lot of shit pop and rap out there, but there's good stuff to be found in most markets. It's the same as people that class Nickelback as alternative or good rock or something, that's shit.

The only market that I can't stand is the Aussie Hip-Hop scene. My favourite radio station down here played nothing but quality tunes for the 10 or so years I was tuning in, then out of nowhere they're pumping up the hype for these talentless fuckers with bogan accents spittin' stale rhymes over half-cooked beats... bloody rubbish.

Tim said...

I'm not a big Tool fan, but i'd love to see Melt Banana.

Inga said...

Mmmm... Tool.... Are you sure the dueling drums song wasn't "Triad" from Lateralus? They did a thing like that with the drummer from Meshuggah when I saw them on the Lateralus tour back in the day.

I love them.