Monday, June 18, 2007

So I'm a little late to the party

First a little background. I read. A lot. By that I mean that I read far far more than a regular person does. It borders on obsession I'm told. I've read and I own more books than anyone I know (and I know some very literate people), I have multiple library cards and so on and so on and so on. I told you that to tell you this:

I've never read those Harry Potter books.

So I've decided to do that now. I have to know what made what is probably the most illiterate generation in a "civilized" country in a long long time turn off the TV, put down the gamepad, sign out of AIM and pull out the earbuds in order to actually read something. Anything that can do that seemingly miraculous thing is something that I should read because the result is something that I am very much for. Pro-that. Yay that. It's a thing that made an entire generation that looked at books with confusion at best and outright disdain at worst actually read something. I'm still amazed by it.

Normally I don't fall into the hype pit. You couldn't make me read The Da Vinci Code at gunpoint. G'head, shoot me motherfucker I ain't doin' it. I don't watch reality TV. I mostly avoid bestsellers as a rule. When the hype machine gets going I tend to get wary. I see this a little differently and I'll tell you why.

First, it got very good reviews even before it exploded. Sure a lot of the later reviews and probably many of the awards were a result of the insane sales figures but it did get praise before then. This is key.

Second, I've seen several writers who I like give it a thumbs up and that is one of the major ways that I find new writers. If someone whose work I enjoy likes your work then maybe I should be checking it out. It usually doesn't let me down though obviously it isn't ironclad. I did find my favorite writer this way so it's a going to be company policy for the foreseeable future.

Third, it made a lot of "real" writers very weepy and bitchtastic. I clearly remember when the bestseller list was clogged with the name Rowling in the top 4 spots. Number 1 was her 4th, number 2 was her 3rd and so on. This made the "real" writers so angry that they banded together and got them kicked off of the list completely. The top four spots were vacated and everyone moved up four places. Rowling's 5th and 6th book didn't appear on the list either even though they were the top sellers for long and long and her forthcoming book will not appear on it either.

This is such dizzying bullshit that it makes me nauseous.

The thing it most reminds me of is when Neil Gaiman won the World Fantasy Award for best short story. He won it for one issue of a comic book series that he wrote. The "real" writers nearly had strokes when they were beaten by a lowly and unworthy comic book writer. They banded together and got the rules changed so that a comic book would never win again.

Y'know guys, if you were better writers you might win more awards and sell more books. Maybe if you spent as much time and energy and displayed the same amount of passion in your work as you do trying to piss on the work of others you would actually be as good as you clearly think you are. Fuck you all. Each and every one of you.

Lastly, refer back to the part where it got millions of slack jawed, mouth breathing, barely literate imbeciles to pick up a book, finish it and then clamor for more.

So yeah, I'm going to be doing that.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. As I was reading the intro, I had a feeling you were going to dip into Harry Potter.

I'm a fad hater. It's why I didn't watch Titanic at the start of it's run, it's why I avoided Friends for so long, and it's why I said I wouldn't ever read Harry Potter. Then I saw the first movie and loved it, read the first book. Likewise with the rest of the movies so far, and the books each were based on. Now I'm in a pattern where watching the movies gets me to open the book, but I still feel better about that than if I hadn't read them at all.

And that might be the reason I got into both versions, unlike Lord of the Rings which I read when I was pretty young, didn't care much for the movies, and now I can't be bothered going back to the books for a second run.

Another thing you expertly covered was The Da Vinci Code. Fuck that noise, brother. When you were saying you're glad Harry Potter got people reading again, all I could think of were the number of people that would not shutup about how The Da Vinci Code was the best thing ever. People that didn't read anything, unless Oprah or Best Seller lists told them to. People that tilted their heads when I told them Fight Club was a book.

I'm still barking at people that tell me to read it, when they occasionally crop up (and they do) even more so after I saw the movie and hated it.

Tim said...

I've been meaning to read the first one, really I have.

Maybe i'll finally give it a shot to break up the Charlie Huston/F Paul Wilson/ Jim Butcher streak i've been on for the past year.

JMac said...

oh my. i loved this entry, though I honestly have not read an entire Harry Potter to date, I always picked one up, started it, and never felt as compelled to keep turning the page as other people did. Nothing like Palahniuk makes me want to do. (by the way, Im around the last 30 pages of Rant and so on the edge of my seat waiting to find out what the hell is going on...i have so many theories, YAY chuck, yay) I really loved it because I did pick up the Da Vinci Code, and it made me suicidal. I started reading it for the same reason you say you want to pick up the HP books, to see what got the entire nation to finally pick up a fucking book. Everyone in the world I know had read it, i mean EVERYONE. And they all loved it. I mean people who's opinions about literature I really value. One of my best friends, who originally got me hooked on Palahniuk and Bret Easton Ellis, HE loved Da Vinci Code. The damn thing made me want to slit the authors throat, then anyone who told me it was quality reading, then my own for so stupidly wasting valuable time in my life reading the joke of a book. Anyway...Damo, those people who didn't know Fight Club was a book...I encountered many of those people while I was reading it recently and, gosh it just makes me so sad. Eh. Society as a whole is just so sad.

now im depressed

Unknown said...

I get the head tilt thing a lot when I tell people that this or that movie was a book. Then I get angry and want to smite them. I also have a thing to say about the average Fight Club fan but that's actually a subject for my next Five Things post.

I'll never ask a person to break up a streak that good dude. Never. Wilson, Huston, Butcher is a pretty good line up I must say.

I finally picked up Rant and will tear into it when I'm done the HP stuff and maybe a couple of other things. Also, fuck Dan Brown. From what I've read about that book all he did was take a bunch of conspiracy theories and mash them together in a ho hum kind of way and then add some mediocre and not always coherent writing.

The Taco Prophet said...

A friend of mine left Da Vinci Code at my house, saying I really needed to read it. Being the obsessive jackass I am, I picked up one of the books Brown got his ideas from to get some background. Then I checked up on a few of the sources they cited in the midst of their crackpot theorymongering. The whole thing was so ludicrously poorly conducted and researched that I couldn't go on. Da Vinci Code went back to my friend's house a year later unopened. I feel my life is the richer for that.

The Taco Prophet said...

Dear Blue:

Adopt me plz kthxbye.

Love,
Taco

VikingLady said...

You know how I feel about Harry Potter, and that if you start loving or even moderately-to-strongly liking it then this relationship will... change. And not change like I'll get nicer.

Sigh.

But yeah, I hate the DaVinci Code. Mostly because if it takes a fad to get you to see that there was something going on between Yesh and Maggie, go bash your head into the nearest wall. Fuck that noise, indeed.

So instead of DaVinci Code, people should read Holy Blood, Holy Grail and other such works from which that Brown guy stole all his research. And the movie... OH MY GOD. I'm not even going to get started. Trying to keep my stress levels low. All I'll say is, I should sue the airline that showed that during my flight for putting me in front of that screen with nowhere else to look for two hours. It was hell.

Sigh... Yeah.

On a brighter note, going to try to see 1408 tonight. Haven't read any reviews, like I ever do, but John Cusack = yay, so... yay!

Unknown said...

Dear Blue,

Adopt me too plz. kthxbai

Love,
Coyote


Dear Ing,

We've long since stopped thnking you'll ever be nice to us and I would have crashed that fucking plane to end the torment.

YOURS EVER SO TRULY,
Me