Thursday, October 4, 2007

Five Things: The Musical

Since no one else liked my musings about lube (even though I stand by the FACT that that shit was funny) I will now punish you all with a new list. A recent post on Tim's blog got me thinking about music and how much I love it and that thought went hither and yon until it settled on side projects and supergroups and how lots of them suck but some are shamefully under appreciated. Without further ado I give you:

Five musical side projects/supergroups that I love.

1. Down

Down is a band made up from members of Pantera, Corrosion of Conformity and Crowbar. I first heard about them when a friend of mine bought their first album, NOLA, and put it on. I got a confused look on my face and said, "When did Pantera put out a new album and why does it sound so different yet awesome?" He laughed at my ignorance and explained and I made all due haste to purchase it. Quite a lot of haste was due.

The main draw for me was Phil Anselmo from Pantera on vocals and Pepper Keenan from C.O.C. on guitar. This band is way more than the sum of its parts. They've released three albums so far with all being somewhat different yet all be at least above average with my favorite still being NOLA, their first.

2. A Perfect Circle

Now, you all know that I love Tool more than is absolutely healthy and when I heard that MJK was doing a side project with Billy Howerdel I about fell out of my chair. I had high hopes but in the back of my mind I was concerned because how often is this kind of thing really good? Needless concern.

Mer de Noms was released and holy shit. It was light years ahead of a shitload of other people's main bands. Are you sure this is a side project? That album was shit hot and only got better as I listened to it more. Totally different vibe than Tool yet it still has more than a touch of MAYNARD (Judith for prime example) and it remains one of my favorite albums. Obviously Howerdel was deeply involved in the project and is quite talented but the main draw for me was always Maynard. Something about that voice cuts right into my brain.

APC released two studio albums and one album of covers full of songs about peace and war. All are good but Mer de Noms is a classic as far as I'm concerned.

3. Mad Season

This is a group that was formed in the 90's from members of Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Screaming Trees. There used to be a really good alternative station here at that time and they started playing a song called River of Deceit and I thought wait a minute, that's Layne Staley. Damn right it was. There is NO mistaking that absolutely amazing voice for anyone else's. I am a massive AiC fan and I think Staley is one of the most under appreciated musical talents of all time. Kurt Cobain gets the hype that Staley actually deserves. He was the main attraction for me and is more than worth the price of admission.

Mad Season released only one album called Above. It's probably better than the last thing you listened to.

4. Infectious Grooves

This band was originally formed with members of Suicidal Tendencies, Excel and Jane's Addiction. It was 1991 and a friend of mine runs in with a tape and slams it in and hits play. "Listen to this shit," said he.
"Is that Mike Muir?" I asked.
"Fuckin' right it is. Just wait, it gets better."

Mike Muir is the front man for Suicidal Tendencies which is, I hope at least some of you know, one of the best bands ever. Whichever "version" of SI people prefer (I like them through all the punk/crossover/thrash/metal/whatever-style-they-cared-to-do-for-whatever -album-it's-all-good) most people can find something to love. Anyway, Muir formed this band and it was pure funk metal. Think back to when the Red Hot Chili Peppers were actually good (you do realize they stopped being good in the very early 90's right?) and add even more funk with a harder edge and sometimes lots of humor. That's Infectious Grooves.

The main draw was Muir of course and they have released four albums so far. My favorite is probably Sarsippius' Ark.

5. Mike Patton

Before you can nay say this one let me remind you that virtually everything Patton has done has been on the side of something else so I think it counts. This guy is flat out fucking brilliant. He's been involved in more projects than even he can remember and he continues to churn out quality music that is almost impossible to categorize without using a ridiculous amount of labels.

I first heard him when he took over the singing duties for Faith No More for their album The Real Thing. I was instantly hooked. This album is pure genius. If you don't like it then I'm sorry but that's a deal breaker and we can't be friends anymore. Seriously. After that came his second album with them, Angel Dust. More experimental but no less grabtacular and is perhaps the single most under appreciated album ever.

He has also released music as part of or driving force behind Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Fantomas, Lovage and Peeping Tom among many many many others. Seriously he's insanely prolific. The only thing he's done that I didn't care for was when he got into that whole Japanese noise thing. I don't care for it in and of itself and even the best of it would still be something I didn't like so it wasn't his fault.

My favorite of his stuff is easily the two FNM albums I already mentioned plus his latest project which was Peeping Tom.

Once again you all have homework assignments assuming you don't already know and love all of these things. If you do already know and love all of these things then prepare yourself for sex because it's about to get rough in here.

7 comments:

VikingLady said...

I know and love Mike Patton (Tomahawk opened for Tool one time and I was like, HUUUH? in a good way) and APC.

But I know and love almost all the people who were components of the other things so now I have to RUN out and gaze longingly at things I cannot afford to buy at this time, then RUN to the library and all my friends' houses and see if they have the cd's for me to copy.

I'm excited! (To eventually, ten years from now, finally own all of those albums!)

Anonymous said...

What, no love for Probot? You bitch!

Tim said...

Much love for Infectious Grooves and Down.

I just got Peeping Tom's disc, and am loving it muchly.

Would SOD count as a side project? Because i love me some SOD.

And speaking of SOD, Brutal Truth was started by Dan Lilker. They're one of my favorite bands. Period.

Unknown said...

There's only room for five so Probot, SOD (which I very much consider a side project. A Fucking great one at that.), Raconteurs, etc etc were considered and then dropped in favor of others. I did consider an honorable mention section but then that would be more than five things.

I only know Lilker from SOD and Nuclear Assault. I'm gonna have to check out Brutal Truth for sure.

VikingLady said...

Tomorrow the Office. Tomorrow the Office. Tomorrow the Office.

JMac said...

You know what...I'm so overwhelmed right now. All of you are people who's opinions I love and respect, so when you recommend something I am immediately obligated to look into it. Lately that's been difficult with the lack of a computer...but now that I've got one of those bad boys I can start catching up. And this list...I am freaking out a little over the new (to me anyhow) hot shit to listen to. YAY for music...

As for who I already know of in the list, I already have deep adoration for APC and have since High School. I think I may love them more than Tool ::gasps:: I'M SORRY .... okay that's probably only half true. Either way, APC got me through some rough stuff back in the day and for that they reserve a special place in my heart.

I always liked AiC, I remember how I felt inexplicably sad one day and then came to find that afternoon that Layne Staley had died. It was devasdating, because I think you're right...he never got the recognition he deserved. But they did, and do still have some loyal fans. In the wake of his death a local band from the big city outside my hometown held a tribute concert and I attended in mourning. Not being the loyal fan I should have, I didn't realize he'd had a side project. Now im jumping about in my chair (it's possible, i assure you) to get my hands on the tracks. WOO!

Infectious Grooves, by the way you described it...Can't wait for that either. Damn.

and...everything else! AH!

I do think the Raconteurs deserved even just a SIDE note here, but that's because I'm in love with Jack White. Eh. I forgive you...:)

Cheers to burnin hot shit tunes.

AND Inga...I'm pretty sure once I upload all the albums to my comp I can upload them to the net for your own downloading pleasure, if you like. :)

Tim said...

While we're on the subject of side projects and whatnot, I strongly suggest you listen to the two albums Jello Biafra did with The Melvins: Never Breathe What You Can't See and Sieg Howdy